Notices

Thread: Site Updates - Discussion

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxguy
    I can see it in my members area but it say's I have to enter my boards URL. Honestly I don't like the fact that you are forcing people to enter their URL before they can access their files. I really do not have anything to hide but I don't like being forced into doing something I don't want to do. And I'm not the type of person to just type in a fake website address to bypass your system.

This was never an issue in the past. It would be one thing if you thought people were stealing or downloading too many times or sharing their account. Then I would understand this.

But for your honest customers I don't like this idea of a forced URL. Especially since when I purchased this it was not a requirement. A lot of us run private boards that we would rather keep private.
    Agreed!

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify,
    entering the URL of your website was always a required field on registration.
    The only difference is that now you have to enter it before downloading instead of before completing the payment.

Your site will remain private, it's only on our private record to keep track of licenses.

Miko

No, actually it was never "required" in any way.
    I've bought my last 2 skins from extremepixels.com Looks like it's time to give them "all" of my business from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko
    Just to clarify,
    entering the URL of your website was always a required field on registration.
    The only difference is that now you have to enter it before downloading instead of before completing the payment.

Your site will remain private, it's only on our private record to keep track of licenses.

Miko
    This makes no sense and is pure silliness. It's not like you are going to be able to join my private forum to view whether or not I have the Hide Hack installed, so how does this "keep track" of your licenses? You are not tied in to the vbulletin verification system, like vbulletin.org, or other sites. I appreciate the fact that you are willing to check out sites via the "support ticket" however not everyone has that need, sometimes the mistake/error/bug is on your end, not mine (such as the Hide Hack), where you do not need the URL of my site - I simply need what I PAID for!
    Last edited by webslugger; 13-01-05 at 07:01 PM.

Monkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxguy
    ........but it say's I have to enter my boards URL. Honestly I don't like the fact that you are forcing people to enter their URL before they can access their files. I really do not have anything to hide but I don't like being forced into doing something I don't want to do. And I'm not the type of person to just type in a fake website address to bypass your system.

This was never an issue in the past. It would be one thing if you thought people were stealing or downloading too many times or sharing their account. Then I would understand this.

But for your honest customers I don't like this idea of a forced URL. Especially since when I purchased this it was not a requirement. A lot of us run private boards that we would rather keep private.
    Dude no offence, but wtf are you going on about it!?!
    How did you buy vbulletin in first place without providing a URL?
    How do you buy anything now days without providing a URL?

If you are so "PRIVATE" and don't like that you have to provide your URL, you are going to have quite some trouble getting any script.

Quote Originally Posted by webslugger
    This makes no sense and is pure silliness. It's not like you are going to be able to join my private forum to view whether or not I have the Hide Hack installed, so how does this "keep track" of your licenses? You are not tied in to the vbulletin verification system, like vbulletin.org, or other sites. I appreciate the fact that you are willing to check out sites via the "support ticket" however not everyone has that need, sometimes the mistake/error/bug is on your end, not mine (such as the Hide Hack), where you do not need the URL of my site - I simply need what I PAID for!
    Oh gosh...... another one!
    What is asking for your website URL to do with vbulletin licensing system?!?
    Come on give vbstyles a break.
    Have you ever thought that probably is how they keep track of where they're skins are going on the web?

Honestly are people like you that give me the shit

I personally love the new member area and I wish I could have something similar on my site, especially the help desk part

Just my 2 cents

Kingpin

I did provide vBulletin with my URL. That is vBulletin. My core software. Not some $30 skin I bought for it that I never had to enter that information before. You miss the point. I had to give vB my URL when I bought vB. I knew that, it was part of the deal. No biggie. I did NOT have to enter my URL when buying an addon skin. Now I have to if I want to download it. I paid for it already! Now I can't access because they change the rules. That is BS.

If I was required to enter when I bought the skin that would be different. I would have know "ahead" of time that was part of the deal. It wasn't. I could care less what you say. It's my business, not yours. And honestly it's not vbystyles business. I am a legal customer here. They know I've paid. I have a legal vB board. If I don't want to give vbstyles my URL I should not be forced into doing so. Especially since they changed the rules after the fact.

Monkey Guest
    You should just go out more...
    really what's the freaking big deal about providing your website address.
    Even the old system asked for your url upon purchasing the skin.
    Now it ask for it before downloading whowho....
    I've been here for almost 2 years and I have seen you complaining about bullsh^T way to many time.......I always keep my mouth shut but i'm sick of reading your comments around here.

If you don't like it so much why do you keep coming back?
    Of the 1000s fo people here you are one of or the only one that seems so unhappy.

I think i can speak of most of the customer here, but my experience with vbstyle has always been exellent

Enought of this I wasted to much time with you already!

8. Talking  
    Hey Everybody,

Firstly, let me make clear that I am only offering an impartial opinion here and I am in no way representing Miko or any of his clients... this is my opinion.

I really do wonder why people are so annoyed at the fact that they have to give a URL when purchasing one of vBStyles products... regardless as to this being originally required or not. In essence, I see this as vBStyles simply protecting their material and assets. I am certain that Miko is aware of piracy on the internet, and will do whatever he can to protect his significant investment in time and money to develop his skins and code hacks. Knowing on what www sites his software and skins are being installed will enable him to monitor any reported piracy. If a site runs a skin, or a code hack, and is not in vBStyles private list of approved clients, then they are perfectly entitled to take measures to protect their products and thus totally justified in asking for a URL as to where the product is being installed.

In addition to this, you did provide payment details of some type when you purchase products from here, so why not provide a URL - even if your www site is private.... are your account details not????

vBStyles taking these steps in protecting their property and significant investment allows YOU to receive free upgrades and support to your purchased product/skin.

I really don't see what the issue is here.

I wish you all the very best in your www sites, and I hope you can come to some agreement as to the way forward. I am sure you all have far more important things to do...don't get worked up, go and enjoy your new skins yeah...
    Last edited by theMusicMan; 14-01-05 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin
    Oh gosh...... another one!
    What is asking for your website URL to do with vbulletin licensing system?!?
    EXACTLY!
    Quote Originally Posted by theMusicMan
    I really do wonder why people are so annoyed at the fact that they have to give a URL when purchasing one of vBStyles products...
    That's the whole point! They only require the URL AFTER you purchase, and do not make those conditions known BEFORE making a purchase, or DURING the purchase process. It is a little something known as "being up front with your customers," and I am sorry if you take offense to the fact that it bothers me and other people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMusicMan
    vBStyles taking these steps in protecting their property and significant investment allows YOU to receive free upgrades and support to your purchased product/skin.
    Please explain further how my providing a link to a private forum "protects their property," especially if there is no accountability? What is the fear here? That I am going to buy the skin and use it on multiple sites? how does this prevent that?
    Last edited by webslugger; 14-01-05 at 02:28 PM.

Kingpin, I really have no beef with you. I can see you and Musicman have your opinions and that is cool. I am sure we all have better things to do than argue here.

My opinion is still the same. I think they are making a big mistake and it does anger me that the rules have changed "after" I made my purchase. I cannot access what I legally paid for. That just seems wrong to me.

I am using the skin for a client, copyright still in tact and the whole works. It's obvious I paid for the skin. But it is not their business who my client is. If I were dishonest I'd just put in a bogus URL and would have kept my mouth shut. I'd rather let vbs know my thoughts and let them know I think they have made a mistake.

Anyway, I can see there are going to be 2 sides of this issue. There always are. You can't please everybody. But I do think it is wrong to change the rules after you have legally paid for something.

Anyway, I've made my opinion know so I'll stop bitching now