Notices

Thread: Upgrading a Style?

Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

1. Question Upgrading a Style? 
    When a new update comes out for a style, do you just merge them or import a fresh one? What's the best way, especially if you've made a few template edits?
    Neal | Lancashire, UK

Well, I would also like to know this since I've made a lot of customizations to my Afterdark skin...
    Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

My Mods: Coming Soon | My Tutorials: Coming Soon

When you update from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 you'll have no big problems. You can make the needed template changes manually. You should look at the vBulletin announcement which templates have been changed and what has changed.

When you update from 3.5.x to 3.6.x or from 3.6.0 to 3.6.2 I would recommend to revert all templates and make all changes to the templates again because to much templates have been changed.

Select "Find updated templates" in your style manager after you've updated your forum. Here you'll see which templates are outdated. You get a view like this:

FORUMDISPLAY
    Default Template Updated in vBulletin 3.6.1 by freddie
    Your Custom Template Last Edited in vBulletin 3.6.0 by me
    So you know that you must revert or manually update this template. Then you must read the vBulletin announcement which lines has been changed.

Wow thanks a bunch for the info but how do I manually update a template exactly?
    Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade View Post
    Wow thanks a bunch for the info but how do I manually update a template exactly?
    From 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 it's not a big problem.

Example:

You've installed a hack which required you to modify the template "SHOWTHREAD"... You've added a few lines of additional code or deleted something. Then this template is marked as changed. This template will not automatically overwritten during the vBulletin upgrade process.

But when you run "Find updated templates" from your style manager you'll see that you're using "old templates".

Now go to vbulletin.com and look in the anouncements here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...28&postcount=3

There you'll see that template "SHOWTHREAD" has been changed. This has been changed exactly:

Code:
    <td>$vbphrase[already_rated_this_thread]</td>
    changed to:

Code:
    <td class="vbmenu_option" title="nohilite">$vbphrase[already_rated_this_thread]</td>
    Now open your own, modified template and look for the above code and change it manually. That's all

from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 the only template that needs reverting with the element style is the announcement one (Or something similar). Only the one, good ;-)
    Neal | Lancashire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by dlutt View Post
    From 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 it's not a big problem.

Example:

You've installed a hack which required you to modify the template "SHOWTHREAD"... You've added a few lines of additional code or deleted something. Then this template is marked as changed. This template will not automatically overwritten during the vBulletin upgrade process.

But when you run "Find updated templates" from your style manager you'll see that you're using "old templates".

Now go to vbulletin.com and look in the anouncements here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...28&postcount=3

There you'll see that template "SHOWTHREAD" has been changed. This has been changed exactly:

Code:
    <td>$vbphrase[already_rated_this_thread]</td>
    changed to:

Code:
    <td class="vbmenu_option" title="nohilite">$vbphrase[already_rated_this_thread]</td>
    Now open your own, modified template and look for the above code and change it manually. That's all
    I know that already. What I'm saying is, how do I get the new code from inorder to keep a template up-to-date?